For the longest time CarPlay users have complained about not being able to listen to terrestrial radio stations while using the in-car software. There is a workaround for it these days, however. But there's a big catch. Your favorite local radio station needs to have an iOS app that's CarPlay-compatible.
If KBGG 1700 The Champ, a local AM radio station out of Des Moines, Iowa, is one of your favorite stations for news, talk shows and sports, fire up CarPlay and get set. CarPlay screenshots below.
KBGG 1700 The Champ AM
The iOS app for KBGG 1700 The Champ is developed by AirKast, Inc., the same developers behind other radio streaming apps (WUUQ Radio) that are CarPlay compatible. The latest version of the app was released on October 28 with CarPlay compatibility.
The app's description doesn't mention CarPlay but instead says there is a 'Car Mode' which provides 'simple audio controls so you can listen while on the road.' And that is exactly what the app does in CarPlay. It is barebones simple.
Here's is the App Store description of 1700 The Champ...
Never be without your favorite radio station. 1700 The Champ is proud to present our OFFICIAL radio app. Listen to us at work, home or on the road. Install our app and get instant access to our unique content, features and more!
- New design and interface
- See current playing show, latest podcast episodes and up to date station and local news on a single screen
- Access all your favorite podcast shows on demand. Listen live (less storage requirement) or download and listen when offline
- Get notifications and single click access to any station promotions or contests
- View station's YouTube channel without searching or leaving the app (when available)
- Wake up to your favorite station with our alarm clock. Record a personal reminder to play before waking to the station.
- Fall asleep while listening to your favorite station
- Access station's weekly show schedules so you don't miss a thing
- Real time weather for where you are
- Share our app via Facebook, Twitter, and e-mail
- Car Mode provides simple audio controls so you can listen while on the roadLink to download: KBGG 1700 The Champ from the App Store
The great thing about adding CarPlay compatibility to any app is that you can basically access it from compatible car dashboard in the world using CarPlay. So you don't have to live in Des Moines, IA to listen to 1700 The Champ in your car.
The station has been streaming online for a while now. It is also available on services like TuneIn Radio and Streema.
With local radio stations adding CarPlay compatibility to its iOS apps, it might be a matter of time before your dashboard is inundated with such apps. The highly localized audience for radio stations will keep popularity low, however.
1700 The Champ in CarPlay
In CarPlay, the interface for 1700 The Champ is very basic. When you launch the app, live radio begins streaming and shows up on the Now Playing screen. The main menu is blank, and does not show any options for on-demand streaming.
While connected to CarPlay, the app is accessible from the iPhone too. On the iPhone, you can stream on-demand content which will play in CarPlay. However, doing so could be distracting while driving.
The app also starts up by playing a video ad on the iPhone most of the time.
Here are some CarPlay screenshots...