The list of Apple CarPlay-compatible third-party apps has been steadily increasing, especially in the last few weeks. And there has been a new addition to the CarPlay family just yesterday. The app in focus is Slacker Radio.
For those of you who haven't heard of Slacker Radio, take a look below the break for more details. I have also included a few CarPlay screenshots.
Slacker Radio (version 6.0.660) - App Store description
Slacker is radio that listens to you, with free and subscription-based access to millions of songs and hundreds of human-powered music stations on mobile, web, in-car entertainment and consumer electronics. Our curators craft exceptional music stations and custom shows and then give you control to make them your own.
With Slacker Radio, you get free access to music programming from weekly countdowns to top genres and artist-hosted original programs. Slacker also features fully interactive comedy, news and sports to go along with the hundreds of unique hosted and programmed music stations that you won’t find on any other music service or radio station.
• Free access to personalized radio service
• Hundreds of interactive and hand-crafted music stations
• Exclusive hosted music shows every week
• Create and share your own custom music stations
• Available on mobile, web, home and car platforms
• Unique interactive news and sports programming
• On-demand access to millions of songs with subscription
• Offline playback on mobile available with subscriptionLink to download: Slacker Radio from the App Store
Latest Update description:
- Slacker for iPad now looks and feels like Slacker for iPhone. Welcome to 2015, iPad app!
- Listen to Slacker on Apple CarPlay. Just plug in your iPhone and go!
- Cast Slacker to your Chromecast-enabled devices!
Slacker Radio Plans
Slacker offers three plans. The Basic plan is free and allows you to stream music onto any device. You can skip up to 6 songs per hour and have to listen to the occasional ad.
The Radio Plus plan costs $3.99 per month and comes with ad-free listening and unlimited track skipping. You can also save stations for offline listening with this plan.
The Premium plan costs $9.99 per month and is basically on-demand music streaming. You can listen to any song or album at any time from any device. There are no ads and this plan allows you to create custom playlists.
Check out this graphic showing the Slacker plans...
For full details visit the Slacker website.
Slacker Radio in Apple CarPlay
As with other music streaming apps, Slacker Radio has a familiar CarPlay interface. When you first launch Slacker on your iPhone though, you will be asked to create an account, login to your existing account, or just skip that step and start streaming music for free.
There are plenty of stations to choose from. You can even listen to talk radio stations like ESPN Radio, American Public Media and many comedy stations. The Now Playing screen looks like this...
You can favorite or ban a particular song at any time by tapping the menu/option button on the Now Playing screen. This is similar to the Thumb Up/Down option in Pandora Radio...
Take a look at these additional CarPlay interface screenshots below...
Note: Thanks to Jason for the tip about Slacker Radio becoming CarPlay compatible.